Performance updates

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Nov 13 14:59:49 PST 2008

Moritz Warning:
> I have noticed the same problem with foreach.
> A for loop is often faster. :/

You generally notice a difference only in the most inner and critical loops, so I think it's okay to use foreach() in 80-90% of the code of a program.

> I haven't tried ldc yet..

I haven't succeed in compiling code with ldc yet. But I have tried the last LLVM with the C code of the nbody benchmark of the Shootout, and GCC (MinGW) 4.2.1 produces code about twice faster on my Core2. That's even quite worse than the D code compiled with DMD.

Bye,
bearophile