exe file size

yidabu yidabu.spam at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 03:42:52 PST 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 02:14:23 +0000 (UTC)
John Reimer <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello huurd,
>
> > I use dwt+dwtx, a hello word exe size is 22M, after I use upx the size
> > is 800kb.
> >
> > exe file appears to be a lot of meaningless repeat, how to remove it?
> >

> 22M is distastefully huge for a hello world example using dwt and dwtx :(.
>  Like other's suggested, maybe debug info is getting compiled in due to a
> -g switch.
>
> The file size still may end up being several megabytes, though, even without
> the debug info.  This is more of an annoyance, than a hindrance. DWT has
> a lot to offer; so most people end up coping with the size issue, especially
> if they know they can use something like upx to squeeze things tight.
>
> I can't exactly remember what the cause of this is, but I think it has something
> to do with scads of "hidden" D symbols (moduleinfo?) produced by the D compiler
> for projects that have a combination of (1) tons of modules and (2) many
> interdependencies amongst modules such that even a small project ends up
> linking in ALL (or nearly so) classes from the framework.  This, unfortunately,
> is one of DWT's weaknesses.  I wish the language could help DWT by fixing
> that, but I don't know if that is possible.  Other alternatives that might
> help reduce the problem (I think) is integrating multiple modules into one
> file...but that tends to hinder the whole idea of organization and namespace
> clarity. If DWT were to do this, it would also break import compatibility
> with SWT.  There are a few reasons why this approach is not desirable.
>
> But I hear you.  I really don't like unnecessary bloat either.  It would
> be great if we had some super smart tools that could pair things down a bit.
>
> -JJR

I use dsss 0.75 to build static dwt-win library.
use dmd + gnu make to build binary.

It's small binary size. only issue is it takes more times to build a static library.

--
yidabu <yidabu.spam at gmail.com>
http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwin

D 语言-中文(D Chinese):