C++, D: Dinosaurs?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Nov 14 22:45:58 PST 2008

"Tony" <tonytech08 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gflkav$8rc$1 at digitalmars.com...

> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:gf5r4l$2kt9$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> 1. GC programs can be faster
>>
>> 2. GC programs can use less memory
>>
>> 3. GC programs can be guaranteed to be memory safe
>>
>> 4. GC programs are faster to develop and have fewer bugs
>
> None of which "sell me" on GC.

Why not? They sound like pretty darn good reasons to me. What are you
expecting out of a memory manager, the secret of the universe?

If you have reason to disagree that the items on that list are true, then
ok, I can understand. But if you're saying that those aren't good enough
reasons, then it sounds like you have unrealistic expectations.

> As an independent developer, I have to keep my cards close to my chest
> about some of (one?) the reasons why I thing "my way" is compelling (in
> the true sense of the word).

I'm an independent developer too, but I have to say, this is a clear
indication that your system isn't nearly as special as you think it is.

There are only three types of people who ever have a non-standard solution
and think it's actually worth bothering with such secrecy: 1.
Industry-renowned full-time tech researchers who actually do create good
stuff (and then make it publicly known by the time their research is done),
2. Suits and managers, who don't know a damn thing about the technical side
of anything, including code, and 3. Novices.

I'm not saying this to try to convince you to tell us, or to insult you, but
as a cautionary tale. You need to take a good hard look at your system, be
as objective as you can possibly be, and make sure it really is the that
special. Because anytime you tell yourself "This is so good that nobody else
has thought of it and it's the ace up my sleeve", that should raise a giant
red flag in your mind saying that no, in fact, it's extremely doubtful that
it's anything special at all.