StackOverflow: Applications development with D language

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Sat Nov 15 17:43:21 PST 2008

Julio César Carrascal Urquijo escribió:
> There's an unanswered question on Stack Overflow about D. Anyone cares
> to write a response?
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/289087/applications-development-with-d-language
>

> """
> For those who had developed applications with D,
>
>    * which libraries did you use to build your application?
>    * those libraries were good documented?
>    * did you use Tango?
>    * do you feel that D is ready to build big applications?
>    * which IDE did you use? Descent maybe?
>
>      Thanks in advance. Jonathan.
> """
>
> BTW, this isn't old, only 22 hours old. (I checked this time)

That's a friend of mine, he studies with me and we worked together some
months.

I mentioned D to him a couple of times, but it surprised me to find his
question in stackoverflow, so I asked him what he was trying to do. He said:

"It's an application that will do a lot of numeric calculations. C++
gives me headaches because of all of it's errors and because there are
so many exceptions in the syntax rules for someone that programs in
Java. D would be a good substitute assuming it has a similar
performance, but if I use D I think I won't find libraries, or find out
that the community has little support. This is reasonable, it's a
smaller community than what it is in Java or C++."

So I asked him which libraries he needs, and he replied:

"I would need to read different sound file formats, at least the
well-known ones. I didn't search it, but I think it would be hard to
find that. Also for image treatment, is there such thing in D? And
multithreading support?

Can you interface with C code? It would be cool if you could interface
with C++ code, I think every person that currently develops in C++ could
seriosly think about switching to D"

I know some of the answers, but I'm sure the community can answer in a
better way all of these questions.

(Also note that he knows C++, but he programs in Java, and he's trying
to find something close to the machine, fast, that has OOP support and
all the goodies of a higher level language... that's the same thing I'm
looking for... so targeting D just towards any kind of programmer
instead of just C++ programmers is good)