Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 15 17:47:12 PST 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Brad Roberts wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I never really understood the fear of that, either.
>>
>> Getters/Setters makes up for lack of 'const'.  Can't change it if
>> there's no setters.  Also, setters are important for all of java's
>> reflection systems, especially the IoC systems such as spring.
>
> Yes, but I see people use it everywhere because "it's the right way to
> program."

Well, imho, constant (immutable) objects often are the right way to
program.  With that assumption, you can see that it's one way the
pattern might evolve. :)

Just one observation.  Obviously there's room for lots of opinions in
this space and I'm not a java developer.  I played with the language for
several months back in the 1.0 days, and a little bit of development for
the first time since then this past month -- not nearly enough to be
considered a java developer.  For that I'd have to pick up and adopt the
various idioms that are prevalent and drink more of the kool-aid.

Later,
Brad