Weird template error

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 04:09:55 PST 2008

"Andrei Alexandrescu" wrote
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> This is just another example of the property sugar being subpar.  With
>> real properties, this would not happen.  However, as it is,
>> "actor.world.foo!(int)()" parses as an attempt to access "foo!(int)()"
>> from the _method_ designated by "actor.world", _not_ from the return
>> value of actor.world().
>
> I think (in this particular case) it's only about a compiler bug.

Yes, one that would not have existed without the ambiguity that is now
present in the syntax.  It is one of those things that Walter didn't forsee,
but with true property syntax, it (and many other ambiguities) would have
been covered.

I'm not saying this is proof we should have property syntax, but I'm sure
people will continue to find problems due to the inherent ambiguity.

-Steve