Unification and extension of compile-time reflection

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 15:36:40 PST 2008

Once upon a time, D did not have string mixins, or CTFE, or templates,
or any of the fun things we have today.  Even so, it was still
important to be able to access some information about types.  So
Walter made it possible to query some basic information - the
initialization value, minimum and maximum allowable values, byte size
and alignment etc. - directly from the types as properties.  Neat.

Then D got templates.  D's templates were based on C++'s, to an
extent, and therefore made use of specialization (and by corollary,
SFINAE) to determine which template to instantiate.  By their nature,
templates are a sort of way of introspecting types.  So now D has two
ways to find out things about types.  Okay.

It turned out that templates were not always powerful enough - or
sufficiently concise - to express some ideas.  So Walter came up with
the is() expression (originally the "iftype" statement which begat
"is()" and "static if") to query other, more interesting information
about types.  It's _kind of_ like template specialization but has some
extra features that specialization doesn't.  Now D has three ways to
find out things about types.  Hm.

Along comes D2, and with it, the __traits keyword.  __traits is
wonderful (except for the double-underscore name, anyway).  It's
extensible, flexible, and can answer queries about types and other
program objects in a way that would be extremely convoluted or cryptic
if templates or the is() expression were extended.

But now D programs have _four_ ways to ask questions about themselves.

Some of these methods overlap but with wildly different syntax.  Many
questions have to be composed out of these four disparate methods in
unintuitive manners.  Walter's "Templates Revisited" article says that
"[m]any useful aspects of C++ templates have been discovered rather
than designed," but in all honesty, this is exactly the situation with
D's compile-time introspection.  D's templates are better, yes, but
the problem has simply been promoted to a wider scope.

So what can we do?  I've been thinking about it and I think that
__traits, coupled with the new template constraints, can handle just
about everything.  Does that mean we ditch all the other syntax?  Not
necessarily - it's just that __traits can be the _backend_ for many
other features.

First of all __traits' name has to be revised.  The double-underscore
just isn't working for me.  I think it would be a fair tradeoff to
rename it "traits" and rename the std.traits and core.traits modules
something else.  Come on Walter, I know that adding keywords is
undesirable, but ffs, at some point _not_ adding keywords is just as
bad.  D does not have a very large user or codebase, and if you're
going to break backwards compatibility - _break it now_, before it's
too late.  (besides, some of the keyword mass will need to be
redistributed when imaginary/complex types are removed ;) )

Secondly - the type properties are cute but they're not very flexible.
 They can interfere with fields and methods, and so the compiler has
to explicitly check that aggregate member names don't step on the
built-in property names.  I think that "T.prop" could just be replaced
with "traits(prop, T)".  traits(min, int), and so on.  Yes, it's
longer - but that's what templates are for, if you really want it
shorter: Min!(int).

Third, the is() expression is greatly overstepping its bounds now that
traits is around.  Why is there "is(T == class)", but
__traits(isAssociativeArray, T)?  The is(T) form can be replaced by
__traits(compiles).  The is(T : U) form can be replaced by
traits(convertible).  The is(T == U) forms can all be replaced by
traits(equivalent) and traits(isClass) and the like.  The strange is(T
U), is(T U : V), is(T U == V) forms.. I'm not sure what to do about
those.  The ones like is(T U == return) are an obvious abuse and
should be replaced with traits(returnType) or the like.

The fourth and final issue is template specialization.  This one
really does have too much inertia to remove.  So what I propose for
this is that is() -- now that it has the ability to perform just about
everything that template specialization can -- should become the
backend for template specializations.  That is, something like:

template Foo(T, U : V[K], K, V)
{

is just a shorter way of writing something like:

template Foo(T, U) if(is(U : V[K]))
{

I don't think template constraints currently introduce symbols into
the template body, but this would declare V and K as types within the
body of Foo.

But here's the kicker: even is() is not an entirely basic construct.
It's more or less a shortcut for more complex traits expressions
combined with the ability to alias traits to symbols.  That is, "is(U
: V[K])" is like the pseudocode "traits(isAssociativeArray, U) &&
alias traits(itemType, U) V && alias traits(indexType, U) K".  Of
course you can't put aliases in expressions, but the overall idea is
that this is() expression is the same as using isAssociativeArray and
then aliasing other traits as K and V.

Why do this?  Simplicity, generality, and consistency.  Once all this
is done, it becomes easy to see what questions can and can't be asked
about your code.  You only have to look in one place: traits.
Everything else is defined in terms of it.

So what do you think?