Improve search in digitalmars.com/d (Was: foreach)

Chad J gamerchad at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 21:33:48 PST 2008

Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> Ary Borenszweig escribió:
>> Sam S E escribió:
>>>
>>> Where are the docs on opApply?
>>
>> Search opApply in http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/statement.html
>>
>> Can't the search in digitalmars.com/d be improved? Searching for
>> "opApply" you get ten results which are just questions in the
>> newsgroups, and just in the second page you can see the result you
>> probably are looking for.
>>
>> I suggest improving it in this way:
>> 1. Have a map of obvious keywords that people will look for, to
>> precise urls. Some examples are: delegate, function, override,
>> virtual, class, struct, union, interface, pointer, op*, operator
>> overloading, inheritance, final, const, invariant, etc.
>> 2. If the search is exactly one of the keywords, use the map above.
>> 3. Else, use Google Search Engine.
>>
>> The list might be big, but it can be done if the community helps, and
>> I think it will improve a lot the usability of the site.
>>
>> Actually, the map can be [keyword -> list of urls]. For example, for
>> invariant it should point the invariant attribute as well as invariant
>> classes.
>>
>> And don't point me to
>>
>> http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageSpecification/KeywordIndex
>>

>> I know it exists, but people how enter the D site (and the above is
>> not the D site) will use the search box. Who uses indexes these days
>> when you can search and find what you want?
>
> Umm... I didn't mean to sound rude or anything. Unfortunately, when
> someone doesn't speak in its native language, he tends to sound rude.
>
> Does anyone else have problems with the search box in digitalmars.com/d ?

Yes.  I think I've mentioned this before too.

And I agree that letting the computer handle the searching instead of
manually memorizing where to find things in trees of indexed information
is... just better.  The computer is (erm, /should/ be) better at it than
we are (most of the time).