The "type" type dream

Sergey Gromov snake.scaly at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:20:39 PST 2008

Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:51:43 -0500, bearophile wrote:

> Michel Fortin:
>> Unifying templates and functions... hum, I'm probably still dreaming.
>
> I suggest you to take a good look at Haskell :-) Its type systems is
> Turing-complete, you can really use it to do many kinds of things,
> including the ones you dream about now, and much more complex ones
> too you currently aren't able to dream about yet :-)

Haskell is a different language built around different design
principles.  Your comment seems to me like this:

Michel: "I'd like a cookie..."
bearophile: "Look at the bananas!  They're tasty, too!  And Sweet!"

Well, who argues.  But bananas aren't cookies!  You can make a banana
cookie, but it has a lot to do with cookies and little with bananas.

Haskell is nice, solid language.  But the point is to work with types
like you work with any other data in D.  If you adopt Haskell for type
manipulations then the point is lost because you end up with two
languages for run-time and compile-time manipulations again.