Treating the abusive unsigned syndrome

Daniel de Kok daniel at nowhere.nospam
Tue Nov 25 15:05:34 PST 2008

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:56:17 -0500, bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>> The problem is, it's much more annoying than one might imagine. Even
>> array.length - 1 is up for scrutiny. Technically, even array.length + 1
>> is a problem because 1 is really a signed int. We could provide
>> exceptions for constants, but exceptions are generally not solving the
>> core issue.
>
> That can be solved making array.length signed.

Is that conceptually clean/clear? (If so, I'd like to request an array of
length -1.)

I like Andrei's proposal because it keeps clarity in such cases: sizes
are non-negative quantities. Once you start subtracting ints, it's
possibly not a size anymore, in such cases you want the user to decide
explicitly.

-- Daniel