exe file size

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 05:20:41 PST 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Build times with the new dsss push me way past the sanity point, so
> I've gone back to 0.76, which I think may have never been released.  I
> think I built it myself from sources.
>
> Build times with 0.76 are just barely tolerable with my app.  But my
> colleague was telling me today that he wants to do his work on a
> small, non-DWT test app instead of the main app because the build
> times are too frustrating for him.
>
> If I were forced to use the latest DSSS, I'd defnitely be trying to do
> whatever I could to improve the build times, including using "make" if
> that's what it took.
>
> Hmm... Now that dmd -v will spit out all the modules imported, it
> might be possible to use that to create a makefile (or a make.deps for
> use by a makefile) automatically.
>
> --bb

I didn't notice dsss has such a large overhead, is this due to dsss parsing
the whole source, or has it something to do with how it compiles
applications? If it is the latter, perhaps that's amenable with some
configuration?

Dsss does multicore builds, that probably cancels out the overhead on my
machine.