Interfacing with XPCOM

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 19:02:10 PST 2008

Hello Walter,

> John Reimer wrote:
>
>> So extern(System) does not translate to extern(C)?   Does that mean
>> that all extern(System)'s in my code are defaulting to extern(D)?
>>
>> That'd be a shocker to me. :)  If that's true, it would certainly
>> change my understanding of what I thought was making my code work. :D
>>
> No, extern(System) does on linux just what it does on windows, it's
> just that there's no point to it on linux.

Okay.  I've found it very useful on linux, especially when I'm doing windows/linux
library projects.

It does simplify things greatly because you don't have to declare extern(C)
and extern(Windows) under different version statements for projects that
are going to support windows and linux.  And, at least, it is different than
extern(D) because it removes the name mangling.  So I'd say it has important
usefulness even on Linux.

-JJR