D submission for c't programming contest gets special mention

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Oct 3 06:54:12 PDT 2008

Extrawurst:
> when u visit the website he linked and scroll down there is another
> table with all the submission sources

I have found that code now, they have hidden the links well under a tiny and near-transparent icon :-)

The game seems nice, I presume the purpose is to control the Asteroid startship. I presume a good strategy is to not move the ship in most situations (maybe moving it to avoid very close obstacles seems positive). The ship of the winner entry behaves like your stereotypical uber-smart AI :-) (but it doesn't move to avoid incoming asteroids, so it can be improved still).

I have seen some of the sources, and there's lot of variation. There are submissions like the Python one (not much successful) with just few hundred lines of code in a single module (using the socket std lib module), and very large C++/Java programs too.

The D code seems quite long, can't it be shortened a lot? I presume that some functional-style programming can shorten it some.

Bye,
bearophile