Positive

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sat Oct 4 20:37:00 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> It's very alarming to me that something like this just has no problem
>> getting in the language without community feedback.
>
> It's there at the moment so we can look at it and see if we like it. I
> know Andrei likes it. Anyhow, this is the opportunity for community
> feedback.

To me, the !() syntax has always clearly communicated what's happening.
  The exclamation mark signifies an assertion of sorts (using the
English meaning of 'assertion', not the programming meaning).  With the
dot syntax I'd always be wondering whether there was a function call
taking place that I didn't know about.  Is there anything this change in
syntax gives us over what we currently have?  If not, I don't want it.

Sean