Positive

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 20:41:58 PDT 2008

"Walter Bright" wrote
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> It's very alarming to me that something like this just has no problem
>> getting in the language without community feedback.
>
> It's there at the moment so we can look at it and see if we like it. I
> know Andrei likes it. Anyhow, this is the opportunity for community
> feedback.

Well, here is my feedback.

First, I hate it when D has two ways of doing something.  For example, C
style array declarations, or function pointers.  But those have good
reasons.  We want the new style because it's unambiguous and context-free,
but we want the old style to allow easy porting of C code.

But this change has no qualities I can see except that Andrei thinks it
looks better (at least, that's the only reason he's given).  There are not
compatibility issues with C or some other language, it's just a new syntax
that looks different.  Are there problems with the original !()?  Please
give a reason for this addition besides asthetics, and then we can discuss
the merits.  Or if the community overwhelmingly loves this new syntax, I
guess that's a good reason.  Otherwise, I think it should be rejected on the
simple principle of not fixing things that aren't broken.

-Steve