shouting versus dotting

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 22:07:12 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> The problem I see with "!" as a template instantiation is not technical.
> I write a fair amount of templated code and over years the "!" did not
> grow on me at all. I was time and again consoled by Walter than one day
> that will happen, but it never did. I also realized that Walter didn't
> see a problem with it because he writes only little template code.
>
> I didn't have much beef with other oddities unique to D. For example, I
> found no problem accommodating binary "~" and I was wondering what makes
> "!" different. I was just looking at a page full of templates and it
> looked like crap.
>
> One morning I woke up with the sudden realization of what the problem
> was: the shouting.

Not only that, but typing it is annoying. First you need to put the
right pinky on the shift key, which is a long reach; then you need to
put the left pinky on the 1 key, which is a long reach. Then you need to
move your left pinky all the way back to the left shift key, which is a
short reach, and move your right ring finger up to the 9 key.

It's a lot of reaching and back and forth.

But I don't favor '.' since it's already used.