shouting versus dotting

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Sun Oct 5 05:27:08 PDT 2008

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 00:12:06 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Word followed by exclamation mark. Our brains are wired to interpret that as an
> exclamation. If it's frequent enough in code, it becomes really jarring.

I too find the form ...

   Template!(arg1, arg2, arg3)

a bit uncomfortable.

If we need to visually distinguish templates (compile-time constructs) from
run-time constructs, I would advocate a totally different style all
together. Maybe something more along the lines of the DDoc style ...

  @(Template arg1 arg2 arg3)

Nested it would look like ...

  @(This @(That @(TheOther crap)))

But I'm being too left-field, I suspect.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia