shouting versus dotting

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 15:04:30 PDT 2008

Michel Fortin, el  5 de octubre a las 03:53 me escribiste:
> On 2008-10-05 01:14:17 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> said:
>
> >I don't favor "." any more than the next guy, but I am glad there is awareness of how unfit a choice "!" is. If you have any ideas, please post them! Ah! I!
> >Exclaimed! Again!
>
> Hum, I don't think we have much choice, it'll have to be something in this lot:
>
> 	Positive!(real)(joke);
> 	Positive.(real)(joke);
> 	Positive#(real)(joke);
> 	Positive@(real)(joke);
> 	Positive&(real)(joke);
> 	Positive`(real)(joke);
> 	Positive´(real)(joke);
> 	Positive^(real)(joke);
> 	Positive¨(real)(joke);
> 	Positive\(real)(joke);
>
> Anything else I forgot?
>
> Or we could use special delimiter characters:
>
> 	Positive<real>(joke);
> 	Positive“real”(joke);
> 	Positive«real»(joke);
> 	Positive#real@(joke);
>
> Each having its own problem though.
>
> My preference still goes to "!(".

I think this is exactly the point. ".(" don't look that much better than
"!(" (if better at all), so why should a new syntax variation should be
introduced to the language with that small (and arguable) benefit?

"enum" as the way to declare manifest constants were much more ugly than
"!(", and most of the people were against it. I don't see why ".(" should
be introduced.

And if it's introduced, you'll have to read a lot of "!(" anyways, is not
that you will be solving any problems, because all D1-ported code (and
code of people who like "!(" better) will use it instead of ".(" (unless
"!(" stops working, in which case it's really dumb to make D1 incompatible
with D2 for this such a small aesthetic issue). So you'll just make things
whorse.

-1 for ".("

PS: I wont use Positive!() either ;)