C# interview

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Mon Oct 6 08:55:53 PDT 2008

bearophile wrote:
> Interview to Anders Hejlsberg, one C# author:
> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1149786074;fp;;fpid;;pf;1
>
>> 50% of the bugs that people run into today, coding with C# in our platform, and the same is true of Java for that matter, are probably null reference exceptions. If we had had a stronger type system that would allow you to say that 'this parameter may never be null, and you compiler please check that at every call, by doing static analysis of the code'. Then we could have stamped out classes of bugs.

Hum, it may be true that about 50% of bugs encountered are null pointer
exceptions, but certainly 50% is not the percentage of the effort/time
spent in debugging NPEs, as generally, NPEs are very easy to detect and
to fix. As a very rough estimate, I'd say such effort is about 5%-20%.

So, although I wouldn't say no to a non-nullable types feature, I don't
think it would have that much of an impact.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate