shouting versus dotting

superdan super at dan.org
Mon Oct 6 10:25:21 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter Wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Steven Schveighoffer
> <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "Ary Borenszweig" wrote
>
> > I still vote to keep ! as it's the easiest solution, and I never have found
> > it annoying ;)
>
> Yeh, me too.
>
> The @ (and #) also take up too much width in a small mono-space font
> like the Proggy font I use.  And so they run into the previous and
> following chars making them less readable.   ! is nice and thin so it
> doesn't have that problem.
>
> { } vs ( ) is also a fairly subtle distinction in a small font.
> Usually the context and usage is different enough that that doesn't
> matter.   But of course you may just tell me I should change my font
> in that case.

spoken like a true prodigy. yeah. change yer font.

>  But I still say ! stands out better.

it stands out. unsure about the `better' part.

> And honestly, my eyes totally just see !(...) as a symbolic string
> now, devoid of any meaning beyond "this is a template".  Mentions of
> it looking like shouting or negation or anything else brought back a
> vague recollection of a time long ago when I still could see that.
> But I can only make it look like shouting in my mind now if I
> purposefully pretend the parentheses are part of a different word, or
> pretend to myself that I'm not looking at D code.

i'm sober now eh.

thing is that's important. i don't mind !() much myself. like a mole on an otherwise fine piece of ass. got used to it. but like u i also remember in the beginning i was like, what's wrong with walt did he run out of ideas or what.

to some1 coming anew to d stuff like what!(the!(hell!())) is freakin' weird. no two ways about it. you just keep starin' at that mole like austin powers. if there's a way to get rid of it then whynot. helps attract newcomerz eh.

parallel with perl is good. much stuff i thot and still think is plain weird in perl. but hash access was never one. looks good & works like a charm.