foo!(bar) ==> foo{bar}

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Oct 6 19:34:41 PDT 2008

On 2008-10-06 15:52:39 -0400, Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> said:

> The foo.(bar) syntax seems to be sinking. The foo{bar} seems to be the
> most practical alternative. So, how about putting it in the next D2
> release on a trial basis, so people can try it out and see how it looks?

I'm not sure this is any improvement over "!()". The "!()" syntax at
least uses parenthesis, drawing a parallel with function parameters. I
think the best thing would be to allow parenthesis to be used alone,
without "!()", finding some way around the ambiguities (maybe plainly
disallowing them). Beside that, "!()" is still my second choice as long
as we stay in plain ASCII territory. I haven't seen anything good
enough to justify switching to a new syntax.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/