foo!(bar) ==> foo{bar}

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 17:26:06 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Tiago Carvalho <merlin3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Alexander Pánek" <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> wrote in message
> news:gcgsgb$2g71$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> Tiago Carvalho wrote:
>>>
>>> "Alexander Pánek" <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> wrote in message
>>> news:gcgom3$28pm$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Ups... :/
>>
>> It's ok. ;)

>>> I understand, I have been following the D development for a while now but
>>> still not a very active D programmer, so it's easier for me to agree with
>>> changes to the language.
>>> I'm happy not to be in Walter's shoes since there's no right answer for
>>> this, at least not one that I can see. But since it seems there's a strong
>>> will to change the !() "standard"; in that case I like the @.
>>
>> Where did you see that strong will? Mind to introduce us?
>
> In the late discussions about this subject, for what I've seen most posts
> are suggestions of alternatives to !() rather than posts to keep it and the
> fact Walter is willing to try the alternatives out is a big (probably the
> biggest) step toward change.

That's purely the bike shed effect.  Everyone is capable of suggesting
a sequence of symbols to use.  Not as many are capable of making a
strong argument either way about whether it should change or not.  So
the suggestions about alternate syntax are mostly of the form "if'
it's going to change then how about this?"

Plus as you can see, if Andrei asks for something like this, Walter is
usually quick to implement it if its easy.  So many folks here assume
it's a done deal no matter what we say.  So if we can't stop the train
wreck, at least we can control the damage a little bit. :-)

--bb