An inconvenient truth

Max Samukha samukha at voliacable.com.removethis
Wed Oct 8 06:42:45 PDT 2008

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 07:34:56 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

>Denis Koroskin wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:21:02 +0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Walter discovered a showstopper for the curls.
>>>
>>> class A : B
>>> {
>>> }
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> This is sad .(
>>
>> So, what are we left with now? Does everything stay as is or are we
>> still looking @ alternatives?
>
>I hope we will find a good notation after all. I hope people's patience
>hasn't worn thin. One thing that I noticed in the recent discussion was
>that quite a few people, even among supporters of the status quo,
>admitted that the !() syntax feels a bit odd at least in the beginning.
>
>Andrei

I'm glad curls didn't get there. If I saw them in the beginning, my
first reaction would probably have been: "Why block delimiters for
template parameters? It's even odder than !(".

After staring for some time at templated code written by you and other
people, I feel like joining !( supporters. It doesn't shout at me any
louder than != or unary !. There needs to be a space after ! for it to
shout properly. Nesting is rare and alleviated by aliases.