An inconvenient truth

superdan super at dan.org
Wed Oct 8 07:06:29 PDT 2008

Max Samukha Wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 07:34:56 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
> >Denis Koroskin wrote:

> >> This is sad .(
> >>
> >> So, what are we left with now? Does everything stay as is or are we
> >> still looking @ alternatives?
> >
> >I hope we will find a good notation after all. I hope people's patience
> >hasn't worn thin. One thing that I noticed in the recent discussion was
> >that quite a few people, even among supporters of the status quo,
> >admitted that the !() syntax feels a bit odd at least in the beginning.
> >
> >Andrei
>
> I'm glad curls didn't get there. If I saw them in the beginning, my
> first reaction would probably have been: "Why block delimiters for
> template parameters? It's even odder than !(".

how the heck. since like forever there's been three kinds of parens () [] and {}. they pair n all. choosing one for template args is anyone's first guess. but !( i bet you couldn't see comin' if it bit yer nose.

> After staring for some time at templated code written by you and other
> people, I feel like joining !( supporters. It doesn't shout at me any
> louder than != or unary !. There needs to be a space after ! for it to
> shout properly. Nesting is rare and alleviated by aliases.

really!(how'd ya figure?) besides i often write code like

sort!
    ((string a, string b) { ... })
    (array);

pisses me off.