An inconvenient truth

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Oct 8 08:55:46 PDT 2008

Dave wrote:

>> Anyhow, this segment of the discussion is somewhat orthogonal to the
>> rest of it as I think we all agree a Unicode notation will be an
>> alternative, not an exclusive choice for template instantiations.
>>

> Alternative? That's really what we need; a different group of symbols
> that denote exactly the same thing, in Unicode no less <g>
>
> This whole discussion is getting goofy.
>
> Imagine a code maintainer who has a hard enough time grasping what the
> template code is doing, much less having to slog through code where the
> original developer(s) decided to use the Unicode "alternative" depending
> on what day of the week it was.
>
> Beautiful!
>
> Let's all step back for a second here, and then just grant that Walter's
> original idea is good enough and move on to more important issues.
>
> It took me all of, oh, 5 seconds to look at some D template examples to
> figure out what was going on and start emulating it with a "Hello D
> Template World" of my own for a little practice. So I think the notion
> that new users are going to eschew D or D templates based on the !()
> syntax is just plain wrong, especially since somehow the discussion has
> now changed to a Unicode Alternative (which, BTW, would only make it
> harder on new users).

You'd be amazed. I personally know two guys - awesome hackers - who
wouldn't touch Eiffel in part because it introduces comments with "--".
Not only that, but for one of them that was all the example he had to
get to never even look at Eiffel. In fact I think this anecdote will
start the introduction of TDPL. I think it's very instructive with
regard to how much people care about syntax, and in what arbitrary ways.

Andrei