An inconvenient truth

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Oct 8 09:11:00 PDT 2008

Dave wrote:

>> Anyhow, this segment of the discussion is somewhat orthogonal to the
>> rest of it as I think we all agree a Unicode notation will be an
>> alternative, not an exclusive choice for template instantiations.
>>

> Alternative? That's really what we need; a different group of symbols
> that denote exactly the same thing, in Unicode no less <g>
>
> This whole discussion is getting goofy.
>
> Imagine a code maintainer who has a hard enough time grasping what the
> template code is doing, much less having to slog through code where the
> original developer(s) decided to use the Unicode "alternative" depending
> on what day of the week it was.
>
> Beautiful!

Oh, one more thought about that. I think the ASCII/Unicode distinction
changes the space a bit. For example, currently using:

int[] a;

or

int a[];

is decided by nothing in particular. But choosing the chevrons vs. the
ASCII notation will be largely decided by the toolchain used. That's why
I doubt any given codebase will be as heterogeneous as it could be with
regard to other choices.

I wonder what choice the online D documentation should make. Using
chevrons would be pretty neat, but then random people look at it and are
like, "how do I ever type this?" etc.

Andrei