An inconvenient truth

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 11:05:13 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu
> I only have a source of worry. This is to some extent a bet - how sure can
> we be that today's and tomorrow's editors will display Unicode characters
> properly? In fact I was expecting things to be a lot worse. All editors I
> tried in both Unix and Windows displayed the chevrons properly (beautifully
> in fact). Even command-line programs such as less and cat had no problem.
> Could people try the chevrons with various editors and report their
> experience here?

Never underestimate the power of Microsoft to mess up perfectly good standards!
The Windows console doesn't seem to work properly on utf-8.
Even after chcp 65001, which is supposed to do the trick, I get
question marks appearing before the « and » symbols.

Also the msys implementation of less claims it's a binary file, and
displays hex codes in place of text.

--bb