An inconvenient truth

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Oct 8 16:24:12 PDT 2008

Walter Bright:
> Before I started on D, I was convinced by others that the world needed a
> fast Javascript interpreter. I wrote one that was 20 times (yes, twenty
> times) faster than Mozilla's. Nobody cared.

I don't know why such thing is happened, it sounds weird to me now.
Maybe your timing was wrong, that is maybe you where too much ahead of the time. In fact today fast javascript VMs seem the "most cool thing" of the moment. See V8, squirrel fish extreme, WebKit, etc. Maybe your "error" was to not insert that Javascript interpreter into a version of Mozilla (or Netscape or something else).

Bye,
bearophile