Top 5

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Oct 8 20:15:26 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:22 AM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Bill Baxter:
>>> I hope it's not wrong to show this link here:
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=77168
>>
>> To those more directly involved: Would I be wrong saying the
>> Phobos/Tango split never would have happened if D had a truly open
>> development process?
>
> Possibly.  Ares (a precursor to Tango) was basically created as an
> attempt to try and coordinate community effort for Phobos submissions.
> The goals of the project changed over time, but that was the basic
> inspiration.

I should add, however, that I'm not sure whether the resulting druntime
would have existed if Phobos were more open.  I don't think I would have
messed with things quite so aggressively if I had actual users and
compatibility to worry about ;-)  So things may have worked out for the
best anyway.

Sean