Top 5

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 03:20:56 PDT 2008

Chris R. Miller wrote:
> Benji Smith wrote:
>> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>>>
>>> How would this be "fixed?"  Hint: don't suggest making strings an
>>> object.  We tried that a while back, and it was more or less shot down.
>>
>> Well, personally, I'd prefer it if strings were objects.
>
> As well for me.  Worked just fine in Java, I don't see why it can't work
> here.  Rather, knowing what I know about D and Java, I would tend to
> think that a D implementation of a String as an object would be /more/
> powerful than the Java implementation.
>
>> But I could accept strings as character arrays if they were actually
>> characters arrays.
>
> Amen.

http://www.dprogramming.com/mtext.php

Nearly as efficient as regular strings & same memory footprint as the
type of the lagest character within (i.e. if it contains only ascii, 8
bits/char. If it contains things representable in UTF-16, 16 bits a
character. If it contains cuneoform, 32 bits per char).