Top 5

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 08:17:23 PDT 2008

"Andrei Alexandrescu" wrote
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> You cannot take the address of a manifest constant, and it doesn't live
>> in a static data space or in memory anywhere.  Instead it is built
>> directly into the code.
>
> Let me add something completely unrelated. You cannot take the address of
> an enum value, and it doesn't live in a static data space or in memory
> anywhere. Instead it is built directly into the code.
>
> Andrei
>
> Disclaimer: all resemblance with existing or suggested features is purely
> coincidental.

Nobody is saying that enums are not manifest constants.  They are just
saying that manifest constants are not necessarily enumerations, and
shouldn't be labeled as such.

Note that I'm just voicing what others have said.  Naming manifest constants
'enum' is a level higher than a bikeshed color, but not much higher.  I can
live with the syntax.

-Steve