shouting versus dotting

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 08:43:04 PDT 2008

"Andrei Alexandrescu" wrote
> John Reimer wrote:
>> Hello Andrei,
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> This is pointing at some being born into royalty while others' good
>>> work is under-compensated. Well in a way I'm glad you bring this up.
>>> One thing that has caused and is causing an amount of stir and
>>> occasional irritation is the perception that I came out of nowhere and
>>> captured Walter's attention effortlessly. The reality is that being
>>> neighbors with Walter was part of the mix, but the prosaic bulk of it
>>> is that Walter cared only because of my previous and ongoing 99%
>>> transpiration. For better or worse, this state of affairs makes it
>>> that whatever I say is perceived as much more intense, imposing,
>>> controversial, quirky, or arrogant, than it is, and therefore much
>>> more scrutinized and criticized. This reaction is entirely
>>> understandable, and I'm still thinking of ways to assuage it. In the
>>> meantime it's costing me time because I feel obligated to answer the
>>> many replies to my posts.
>>

>> Anderi, I think you have a good grasp of the complexity of the situation
>> here, and I think (or is it believe ;) ) you are doing a fine job, if not
>> being a little too accomodating (in terms of trying to respond to
>> everyone): I would have collapsed of exhaustion long ago if I were in
>> your shoes.
>>
>> Anyway, keep up the good work.  I think the general D/Walter relationship
>> picture will become clearer the longer your participate.  It does seem
>> that D is taking a turn for the better again.
>>
>> -JJR
>
> Thank you!
>
> Andrei

I'd also like to thank you Andrei.  Although we don't see eye to eye on
every issue, I think what you have brought to the table in many areas is
very good.  That gets overlooked, especially by me, because your ideas are
mostly in Phobos, which I don't use.  But I agree with most of your ideas.

If I disagree with you it's mostly because I really do disagree, not because
I perceive that your ideas automatically make it into D without question
from Walter.

Just some constructive criticism, it would have been a lot less agitating if
you had stated in your original post:

Background: Walter has allowed ".()" as an alternative to "!()" for template
argument specifications in the next version of D2 as a trial to see if
people like it better.

Your original statement implied that it was a fact everyone hated !(), and
implied that Walter had already blessed the change for D2.  This was the
point I think that set me off at least.

-Steve