Top 5

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Oct 9 12:34:38 PDT 2008

downs wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Ok, per Aarti's suggestion: without speaking officially for Walter,
>> let me ask this - what do you think are the top issues you'd like
>> to see fixed in D?
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Let me throw in mine as well.
>
> As per request, I won't list enhancements, only things I perceive to
> be issues with D as it _currently_ is.
>
> 1) the Phobos/Tango schism.

Consider it done.

> 2) CTFE leaks. (been bitten by this recently)

Yah.

> 3) the Exception/Error problem (they're different things, they
> shouldn't inherit!)

I think Exception should inherit Error.

> 4) std.zip

Haven't gotten around to it, but I promise I will. I also have a tar
file reader hanging around my code somewhere, but I'd first need to work
on an extensible archive interface first.

> 5) contracts under inheritance.

Go on...

> Feature improvements would be:
>
> 1) AST manipulation at compile-time (this might supercede and
> deprecate templates _and_ CTFE by merging them into a common
> component) 2) auto return type 3) reference types 4) tuple syntax 5)
> trailing delegates.

I think this won't come around before D3.

> Of course, all of these have been brought up before (and mostly
> ignored), so I don't hold much hope.

I understand.

Andrei