Pure functions in D

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Oct 9 14:20:29 PDT 2008

renoX:

>No, I'm not interested in Haskell, as long as I can't learn monads I'm not interested<

My idea is that you can start learning Haskell, doing practice, learning how you do I/O, etc, even if you don't know what they are. You use monads everywhere from the beginning, but to do basic I/O you don't need to understand them. With time your mind starts to generalize what they are and what they can do. It may take several months, but it's fun :-)

>plus there's D, Scala, F#, Ruby, etc, already lots of interesting language to learn..<

Note that monads are used in F# too, and I presume in few months/years we'll see them in Scala too ;-) And currently Haskell is one of the most interesting languages to learn, even more interesting than Prolog :-)

Bye,
bearophile