See Sharper, See D

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Fri Oct 10 13:09:11 PDT 2008

Bent Rasmussen wrote:

> That future of is like the lambda in front of the language enthusiast' -
> Sorry, it's like the carrot in front of the donkey. Always out of reach
> for the masses.
>
> Of course C# is the present - in a major way - and probably the future,
> for the forseeable future. Then there's F#, easy on the eyes and with some
> potential. There's Scala, it's hybrid, coherent and highly expressive
> language but somehow doesn't look like a mainstream proposition.
>
> No point going further down the list.

Well, the point is that I have yet to see any large projects in either of
those languages (they exist, they're just not everywhere). In Java however,
I hear of large new projects every day. I know that there may be
geographical differences, but from this hill it looks like companies that
build and sell their own software choose whichever language/platform that
suits them (and if Windows centric that often is C#), whereas the typical,
largish consultant contracts opt for Java.

Statements of what is the future, altogether forget that deployed software
control a large portion of any future, such as the shortage of COBOL
programmers have shown. New, niche languages isn't the future just because
they get a lot of attention in the blogosphere. Most programmers seems to
be rather unaware of most stuff discussed there.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net