Template instantiation syntax

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Oct 10 14:15:12 PDT 2008

We seem to have reached a dead end on finding a significantly better
alternative than foo!(bar).

All is not lost, though. Andrei is working on an emacs module that will
parse D code and replace foo!(bar) with foo«bar» for display only when
the editor is in D mode, the underlying text will still be foo!(bar).
(This doesn't affect D at all, only its display in Emacs.)

Also, we're going to try using ! for single argument syntax, as in:

foo!bar  is same as   foo!(bar)
foo!10   is same as   foo!(10)

etc. 0 arguments or more than 1 argument or arguments that are more than
one token long will still require !( ). We'll see how that works. I
think it looks rather nice.