Template instantiation syntax

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Oct 10 23:29:21 PDT 2008

Max Samukha wrote:
> I hope this insignificant issue is not taking too much of your and
> Andrei's time.

Implementing it isn't a problem. The volume of messages about it
consumes the bulk of the time <g>.

I don't agree that it is insignificant. A lot of programmers are put off
by C++ templates, myself included. The question is, why? They shouldn't
conceptually be that complicated. I think syntax is a big part of it. I
just can never seem to get a mental grip on the C++ template syntax.
Like makefiles, I write C++ templates by copy/paste/modify related ones.
This is just wrong. If the syntax can be made more intuitive and
appealing, I believe it will break down the barriers to using templates
naturally.

I've seen this happen for other things. Syntax matters.