Top 5

Oskar Linde oskar.lindeREM at OVEgmail.com
Sat Oct 11 07:51:21 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> "Benji Smith" wrote
>> [...] The only reason we need
>> manifest constants is because OPTLINK isn't smart enough.
>> (And DMD isn't smart enough to discard unreachable variables from the
>> symbol table).

> Exactly so.

That and the reason Walter mentioned: "There needs to be a way to
declare a constant of type int." (as opposed to const(int)), but I
disregard that statement as something symptomatic of a broken const-system.

I've numerous times been trying to argue against the need for manifest
constants, but it has been about as useful as repeatedly banging your
head against a brick wall. And about as rewarding too.

It is good to finally hear that the sole reason we have them is
laziness. That makes acceptance much easier. :)

--
Oskar