Template instantiation syntax

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Oct 11 19:56:54 PDT 2008

"Bent Rasmussen" <IncredibleShrinkingSphere at Gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gcre4u$2dmb$1 at digitalmars.com...
> In fact the days of "one language one syntax" is about to come to an end
> it would appear. This is witnessed by the massive hype surrounding
> domain-specific languages atm - perhaps spun off by Intentional
> Programming where demonstrations show radically different presentations
> for the same underlying abstract syntax.

The domain-specific language hype annoys me. Needs have grown since the days
C/C++ was considered "general purpose", and C++'s changes haven't quite been
able to keep up. That's a given. Formerly "general-purpose" languages like
C++ just aren't really "general purpose" anymore. But I consider the
"domain-specific language" movement to be purely systemic of the lack of a
sufficient new general purpose language.

There's still a need, and IMO a potential, for a new general purpose
language. It's just too hackish to be using a completely different language
for every little thing. Most people seem to look at this recent explosion of
less-than-mainstream languges like D, F#, OCaml, Groovy, Python, Delight,
etc., as a trend towards an increasingly-segregated language arena. I see it
as the playground/sandbox that's building the groundwork for a new general
purpose language. If I understand my language history right, this is similar
to how languages like ALGOL, B, BCPL, Fortran, Fourth and Cobol helped pave
the way for C.