backporting features to D1

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 21:34:35 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Christopher Wright <dhasenan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The issue isn't the lack of new features, so much as bugs being labeled
>> enhancements and not being fixed in D1.
>
> Is there anything in that category other than the partial IFTI stuff?
> I was thinking there were very few such cases, actually.

Hm. I recall complaints relating to that, but no actual instances. My
apologies for perpetuating this without substantiating it.

>> If you want the new features, you can switch to D2, so I don't see that as a
>> problem. (I want the new features, but I'm waiting for Tango support.)
>
> I see three potential categories of D users:
> 1) bleeding edgers who want the latest and greatest -- don't care if
> it breaks everything
> 2) want the latest stuff  -- but don't want it to break my code
> 3) want only bug fixes -- also don't want it to break my code

4) I want the latest stuff -- but if there are no advertised changes
except bugfixes, I want my code to continue working between releases.

I used to use D2 with lots of CTFE and __traits, but I found that a lot
of what I was trying to write couldn't be evaluated at compile time.
Then there would be a new release, and the stuff I finally managed to
get working would all fail.

I didn't really care about backwards compatibility other than that.