Phobos/Tango Unification Plans

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Sun Oct 12 07:20:34 PDT 2008

I was just looking through bearophile's library (which is based on
Phobos) and thinking about how it's too bad that I can't use it because
my code is all based on Tango.

I know there are plans currently in the works to implement a compatible
runtime layer, via Sean's druntime project. And it'll be a breath of
fresh air to get rid of the basic incompatibilities in the two runtimes.

But if that's all that happens, it'll still leave an undesirable
situation, since all the other userland stuff will be incompatible.

Eventually, any significantly complex project is likely to have some
dependent libraries built on top of both Phobos and Tango. At the very
least, string-processing routines from both libraries will get compiled
into the final executable.

Not only will that result in duplication of functionality (and code
bloat), but it'll also mean a bunch of bit-twiddling whenever sending a
Tango type into a Phobos-dependent library function (and vice versa).

Are there any plans in the works to mitigate that problem? Like,
perhaps, negotiating a common API so that at least the names and
argument types are the same in both libraries?

I'm sure the two libraries will always include different subsets of
functionality, but whenever they implement the same basic features, it'd
be great if they used a compatible API.

--benji