Template instantiation syntax

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 08:05:41 PDT 2008

"Walter Bright" wrote
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Changing details like the character used for this or that can make the
>> code more or less readable though.  But that doesn't really affect how
>> difficult it is to remember how to write something.
>
> I disagree with that assessment. There are aesthetics to architecture,
> fonts, web pages, cars, dance, clothes, etc. Break those aesthetics, and
> you've got something people just don't like, even if they cannot identify
> why.
>
> Take the immutable vs invariant aesthetic. There is no technical reason to
> prefer one over the other. But people seem to just like immutable better.

At least one valid technical argument was raised -- invariant already has a
different meaning in D1.

The other argument I remember is that you basically have to use immutable to
describe what invariant means ;)

And I think the concept of templates was more difficult for me to get than
the syntax.

The syntax ambiguities are somewhat of an orthoganal issue that was solved
by using !() instead.

In other words, I don't think using ! without parens is going to make
templates any easier to understand for newbs.  It might not make it more
difficult, but in my view, it's a very trivial change.

-Steve