Template instantiation syntax

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 10:31:52 PDT 2008

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:18:35 +0400, KennyTM~ <kennytm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Walter Bright wrote:
>> KennyTM~ wrote:
>>> But will be compiler accept T«x» if I directly feed it into the
>>> compiler?
>>  No.
>>
>>> It's no good if what you see cannot be what you type.
>>  The compiler doesn't accept colored text either, but that doesn't
>> impair the usefulness of an editor that displays it that way.
>
> Because you can't type color, but you can type « and ».

«...» is not a valid template syntax, only !(...) is supported.
Honestly, I don't understand why Andrei is ashamed of !(), refrains from
using/seeing it and tries to replace visual with some sugar, but this all
is is suspicious and alerting. The syntax didn't make a way into the
language so uou should get used to it and put up with it.

This reminds me of some people who were coming from Pascal and using

#define DO
#define BEGIN {
#define END }

macros for the code to be more similar to their previous experience.

This is a bad sign, especially if it comes from one of the language
developers.