Phobos/Tango Unification Plans (rationale)

Moritz Warning moritzwarning at web.de
Mon Oct 13 04:36:08 PDT 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:56:06 +0000, Moritz Warning wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:31:46 +0200, Don wrote:
>
> [..]
>> My preferred option would be to remove tango.math.Math (stupid name
>> anyway), combine it with tango.math.IEEE (another doubtful name) and
>> rename it as std.math.
>> The more advanced math functions would remain in Tango, since I like
>> the two-level heirachy which Tango provides. The advanced functions
>> which are currently duplicated (eg, std.math.tgamma) would be removed
>> from Phobos.

The near future is that Tango and Phobos will live next to each other
because they are about to get a a common runtime.

Phobos may become a library for starting with D and people will switch to
Tango further or later. Similar to the way it is already.

People who (have to?) care about the Phobos license (Public Domain) vs.
Tango license (BSD style/Public Domain mix) will probably stay with
Phobos.

Tango already shares quite some code with Phobos.
So it might be not that unlikely that Tango and Phobos would be bundled
along with a compiler. Phobos would then be able to redirect to Tango for
shared code.

Maybe Phobos will be dropped and Walter&staff become part of the Tango
team. But that would introduces a bunch of human related problems.

Either way, things are about to get a lot better from the user perspective
Time will tell.