Phobos/Tango Unification Plans (rationale)

Don nospam at nospam.com.au
Mon Oct 13 06:12:17 PDT 2008

Moritz Warning wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:56:06 +0000, Moritz Warning wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:31:46 +0200, Don wrote:
>>
>> [..]
>>> My preferred option would be to remove tango.math.Math (stupid name
>>> anyway), combine it with tango.math.IEEE (another doubtful name) and
>>> rename it as std.math.
>>> The more advanced math functions would remain in Tango, since I like
>>> the two-level heirachy which Tango provides. The advanced functions
>>> which are currently duplicated (eg, std.math.tgamma) would be removed
>>> from Phobos.
>>>

> The near future is that Tango and Phobos will live next to each other
> because they are about to get a a common runtime.
>
> Phobos may become a library for starting with D and people will switch to
> Tango further or later. Similar to the way it is already.
>
> People who (have to?) care about the Phobos license (Public Domain) vs.
> Tango license (BSD style/Public Domain mix) will probably stay with
> Phobos.
>

> Tango already shares quite some code with Phobos.
> So it might be not that unlikely that Tango and Phobos would be bundled
> along with a compiler. Phobos would then be able to redirect to Tango for
> shared code.

> Maybe Phobos will be dropped and Walter&staff become part of the Tango
> team. But that would introduces a bunch of human related problems.

When I look at the team for Phobos and Tango, I actually don't see that
many areas where they are in direct competition.

Andrei and Bartosz seem much more interested in algorithms and stuff
close to the runtime, whereas Tango has a lot of contributers with a
much stronger application focus, and a huge body of code that began in
Mango. It would be a monumental waste of time for Andrei to implement a
HttpClient code, for example.