Is it time for D 3.0?

KennyTM~ kennytm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 12:58:39 PDT 2008

dsimcha wrote:
> == Quote from Paul D. Anderson (paul.d.removethis.anderson at comcast.andthis.net)'s
> article
>> I posted this comment already in the phobos/tango thread but I thought it might
> be of more general interest.
>> With all the changes being discussed -- many of the breaking changes -- is it
> time to move on to D version 3.0?
>> It seems to me a natural division exists between 2.0, when we had to choose
> between tango and phobos; and 3.0, when we got to use them both.
>> Some of the other recent discussions here, template syntax, for example, could
> fall on the other side of the 2.0/3.0 divide.
>> I'm sure Walter and others have discussed when and how the move to 3.0 will
> occur. Just wondering if this important change should be a factor.
>> Paul
>
> My 2 cents is that I think, in hindsight, it might have been a mistake to declare
> a 1.0 release when so many breaking changes to the language spec were still to be
> made.  D1 seems like it's an artificially stable spec for people who needed a
> stable spec.  However, it was released before the "real" spec was finalized and
> will likely have little future once D2 is finalized.  I don't think the same
> mistake should be made by releasing D2 as yet another artificially stable spec
> when there is still likely to be massive code breakage in a subsequent release.

I believe the D1 spec is stable enough, only that dmd is not stable. The
only spec-relating changed to 1.0 since Jun 17th (v2.000 was released) are:

* Added aliases string, wstring, and dstring to ease compatiblity with
2.0. (v1.016)
*  Added __VENDOR__ and __VERSION__. (v1.017)
* The .init property for a variable is now based on its type, not its
initializer. (v1.017, breaking)
* Added 0x78 Codeview extension for type dchar. (v1.019)
* Added extern (System) (v1.019)
* Multiple module static constructors/destructors allowed. (v1.021)
* Data items in static data segment >= 16 bytes in size are now
paragraph aligned. (v1.023)
*  Re-enabled auto interfaces. (v1.027)