[OT] Finding longest documents

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Wed Oct 15 19:13:24 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Benji Smith wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> In my humble opinion, collections APIs are the poster-child of the
>>> misguided joy of the beginnings of object-orientation, right next to the
>>> mammal isa animal example. Organizing collections in hierarchies is of
>>> occasional benefit, but the real benefit comes from decoupling
>>> containers from algorithms via iterators, the way the STL did. The
>>> savings there were that an O(m * n) problem has been solved with writing
>>> O(m + n) code. Container hierarchies do not achieve such a reduction
>>> unless efforts are being made that have little to do with hierarchical
>>> organization. At most they factor out some code in the upper classes,
>>> but hierarchies help when types have many commonalities and few
>>> difference, and that is very rarely the case with containers.
>>
>> Nonsense.
>
> I know you're going to hate this, but I'm unable to follow through with
> this discussion. There is much background and many aspects to discuss,
> and I simply can't afford the time.

Naw, I don't hate it. I'm up to my eyeballs too, and I had no delusions
that I'd convince you anyhow.

I just wanted to put those ideas on the table, since I think there are a
lot of other people like me out there. Those people might like to use D
too, and their development styles are valid too, so I'm standing up for
them.

Anyhoo... catcha later!

--benji