Template instantiation syntax

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Thu Oct 16 09:31:55 PDT 2008

Christopher Wright wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
>> news:gcqvfr$1k6i$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> One of the original guiding principles of D is that it be easy to
>>> parse. There were a number of valid reasons for this, not just lazyness.
>>>
>>> Plus, I'm no compiler expert, but I think I rememebr hearing
>>> somewhere that overloadng <> to be usable for both comparisons and
>>> grouping would require non-context-free grammar. That would be a
>>> major increase in D's parsing complexity. C++ grammer is definately
>>> not context-free, that's why it can get away with it. Not sure about
>>> C# or Java, but I've been under the impression those aren't
>>> context-free either.
>>>

>> I can see your point and to a point I think it is a valid concern.
>>
>> But, most users could care less about that stuff IMO. Abstraction from
>> what a compiler does is why we use higher-level languages in the first
>> place <g>
>
> C++ is much more popular than D, but I haven't found an IDE for it that
> has a significant advantage over Descent. Many users care a fair bit
> about IDEs -- I would, if I didn't work over ssh pretty much of the time.

Actually, CDT seems to have advanced quite a lot in its versions 3 and 4
at least in terms of semantic features (code completion, open
declaration, open type, and even refactoring). Last time I checked it,
it seemed quite better than VC++ 2005 (except perhaps in the area of
debugging).

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate