[OT] Destroying all human life on Earth AT THE SAME TIME

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 20:54:36 PDT 2008

Hello Gregor,

> John Reimer wrote:
>
>> Hello Gregor,
>>
>>> This is what we call a "joke".
>>>
>> Yet... if it is just a "joke", that implies you are not serious...
>> and yet I do think your parody is meant to make a statement beyond
>> just a "joke". Sorry, I think it's fair to hold you accountable for
>> your "jokes". :)  In short, it's not a joke then.
>>
>> Your parody and strong statement of annoyance appear to have been
>> meant
>> to "educate" the community.
>> -JJR
> You think that jokes can't carry messages beyond their humor? That
> they have to be entirely without serious content? You must live a
> profoundly humorless life, as the vast, VAST majority of jokes serve
> as vessels for some sort of message.
>
> - Gregor Richards

Come now, Gregor, what's with the wild conjectures?  Or is this just a hyperbolic
joke in which I'm once again missing the message?  We're on a roll here! :-)

Nope, I just thought that saying it was a "joke" was like equivocating somewhat
on your purpose for posting, kind of like an attempt to lighten a situation
when you suddently see everyone has got deadly serious.  You may "snort"
at that suggestion, but you can't avoid perception... well ... you can...
but it may come back to bite you. :-)

The only real difficulty I have in conversing with you, Gregor, is the mental
exercise involved in order to guess whether you are serious or not.  If everything
is a "joke" or "parody" (with or without a message) for you, which it may
not be to others, then communication breaks down.  That's all I'm saying.
  To you this may indicate my level of intelligence by my inability to comprehend;
but hey, you got know how to speak to the little guys too (or maybe, you
just don't want to).

Actually, I feel a little sheepish here.  Everytime I get back into this
newsgroup, no matter how hard I try, I get pulled into wranglings like this
(my fault for asking, I suppose): it's kind of my nature to want mend these
sort of issues, and sometimes I mess up big time by getting invovled.  I
guess I have to learn to leave well enough alone sometimes in a group where
everyone has a say.

No doubt we all have our peculiarities.  I'll stop hounding you on this,
Gregor, but I sure wish you would go against your nature sometimes, and cut
the scathing sarcasm.  You do come across -- perhaps in a parallel vein as
superdan minus the foul mouth -- as if you exist at the center of everything.
 On the other hand, over the last couple of years, I've been able to appreciate
other aspects of your character despite the existance of this one.  No, not
trying to placate you with a final "nice" word... okay... maybe a little.
 Otherwise, I'm just trying (lamely perhaps) to say that it's "not all bad"
and wish you could do better.

-JJR