backporting features to D1

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Oct 17 17:55:58 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>>> One way or another D2 will have to be done around April, when TDPL
>>> comes along.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Do you expect the concurrency features to be ready by then? (By ready
>> I mean something that is usable and well though-out, not just the
>> first and experimental iterations of a design)
>
> In the words of a car mechanic: we'll be done in six months, even if we
> had to work on it for a year.
>
> Andrei

I asked this because it doesn't even feel like *the const system* is
finished (ready for practical, large-scale usage), in a worthwhile
sense. For example, without a mechanism like the
equivariant-functions/scoped-const/romaybe or something similar, there
are lot of cases where using const correctly will be tedious and annoying.
And if that is the case for the const system, how about concurrency and
all such features that aren't even released yet?.. The book and it's
deadline is your responsibility of course, and in any case I wish things
get finished on time, but if they don't, I just hope that that won't
adversely affect D's development itself.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate